Friday 1 April 2011

A farewell to Tony













Now that I finally changed as well in also
Now that you teached me fishes are fish
And after so many other English corrections
You left us.

After you did this huge job
In correcting and commenting on my columns
And finally the book
You left us

Without me having a chance to pay you back
In dinners and fish
Without me reading
The Final Review

Reading about you
You were more than great in Australia
Writing about so many topics
And finally again about Japan

Here on the other end of the world
Where the news of a shark kept papers alive
You left your traces in friendships
And dinners and party’s

I have been lucky
That one day you and Jane walked into my house
And so we met
And so we worked

Here in the country
Where old history
Of brave wars and great philosophers
Seem to live so close with modern live

You found an island of peace
Sunken into the blue Mediterranean
Where Greeks and foreigners
Mingled into a life of happiness

Here in the little town of Molyvos
For decennia you came back again and again
And now Molyvos lost another
Of its big writers.

Tony, thank you for everything!

Julie

Tony Barrell (7 mei 1940 – 31 maart 2011)

1 comment:

  1. Dear Julie,
    Thanks you for the touching In Memoriam on Tony Barrell.This must have been a wonderfull person to know.Can I console you, or myself that he still had ample time to look at, and hopefully enjoy the results of your mutual efforts for your "scatterlight"-book.Kind regards Martin.

    ReplyDelete